The Binningen ‘mini’ Castle is located in a small park and dates back to the 1290s. It was originally conceived as a moated castle, as evidenced by its two parallel wings with an open inner courtyard, and the fact that it was accessed by a drawbridge. The moat was filled-in in 1773. Damage caused by the likes of the Basel earthquake of 1356 and a fire in 1409, as well as various alterations between the 16th and 20th centuries, changed its original appearance considerably. The castle has operated as a restaurant since 1960.