Ruine Birseck

Birseck Castle rises high above Arlesheim. The prominent castle, visible for miles, appears to watch over the Ermitage.  

Birseck Castle sits high on a mountain spur above the Arlesheim Ermitage, site of the largest English gardens in Switzerland. The castle originally dates from the 13th century. Like many other castles in the region, it was seriously damaged in the Basel earthquake of 1365. As its importance dwindled and the bishops’ money ran out, it was pawned and passed on, rebuilt, auctioned off, and finally, used as a quarry. Today, the site belongs to the ‘Ermitage Arlesheim und Schloss Birseck’ Foundation. It has been renovated and is open to visitors during the summer season.

auf Google Maps anzeigen

Ruine Birseck

4144 Arlesheim