The Homburg ruin lies on the footpath/railway between Läufelingen and Buckten. It makes for a great place to visit. In 1240, Count Hermann von Froburg had the castle built to oversee traffic going through the Lower Hauenstein Pass, and he called it New Homberg. After a turbulent history, including a hundred years as the office of the bailiff, its fate was sealed in 1798 by peasants, who besieged it and burnt it down.
Between 2008 and 2010, the canton of Basel-Landschaft took on the renovation of the Homburg ruin in order to make it safe again for visitors. The residential tower, the oldest part of the site, has been restored to its original size.It is a great place to visit with children, and there are various barbecue facilities available. The footpath from Läufelfingen to the Homburg ruin has been turned into a themed trail as stories about the lives of the heroes of the Middle Ages are told in an entertaining manner via ten information panels